A trip to the Rosarito area is just a quick 40 minute drive from San Diego, CA. It is a great way to spend a weekend, or even just do a day trip to mix things up a little bit. There are a lot of things to do in Baja, and it has something for everyone. Here’s our top 5:
1. Surf – Our favorite breaks in Northern Baja are K-38, K-39 and Baja Malibu.
2. Eat Tacos – One of our favorite places is Surf Tacos right at K-38 for amazing Carne Asada tacos and tortas. We also love Tacho’s for seafood tacos and quesadillas. The entire coast (and country) is full of good places to eat. Tacos, burritos, gorditas, lobster, and all sorts of seafood is everywhere, usually cheap and very authentic.
3. Relax and Enjoy the Beaches – You will find far less people at the beaches from Rosarito to Ensenada than you would in California. The coastline is beautiful and the beaches are everywhere down here! The drive to and from beaches offers amazing views as well. Salsipuedes area is a beautiful and relaxing way to get from Rosarito to Ensenada.
4. Shopping – Ensenada and Rosarito are the places to do this. You’ll have to deal with the usual haggling at markets, but you can walk away with adorable Mexican dresses and ponchos for the kids and some inexpensive decor for your home.
5. Explore Tide Pools – At low tide, when it’s too shallow to surf, this is the perfect time to head out to the many tide pools for some exploring.